Are you using the the New menu to create new folders, shortcuts, documents? Are you waiting for a long time for that menu to come up? Are there any items that you are not using? Are you using 'SendTo' menu element?
If you have answered 'yes' to any of these questions, keep on reading...
How to remove unused elements from the 'SendTo' of a context menu
1) Open up the SendTo folder by either navigating to C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\SendTo or typing sendto under Start | Run
2) Removing anything that you are not using
That's it! Next time when you'll navigate to the Context menu of a file and point your cursor on Send To, you will see only what is left plus your removable drives. (I'm still trying to figure out how to remove those as well).
How to remove unused elements from 'New' of a Context menu
To remove shortcuts to new items is a bit more tricky than modifying Send To. This time you'll have to work with the registry and if you are not comfortable with it, DON'T DO IT! If you will do something wrong you are in risk of not being able to boot up.
Now, with that in mind, let's begin...
1) Launch Registry Editor (Start | Run | regedit)
2) Make a back-up of your registry! (Even though this step is optional, it is still highly recommended so that you would be able to restore your registry back to its original state)
3) Navigate to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
4) Locate item with extension that you want to remove and expand it. It'll look something like .doc
5) Locate Key with a name of ShellNew and remove it
5a) Please note, that if you are dealing with something like Microsoft Word, ShellNew key will be located under:
5b) Remove 'ShellNew' from ALL locations under extension of choice
6) Wait about a minute and then verify that item of your choice is gone from the menu!
How to Enable / Disable Windows XP Notification Balloons
1) Open registry editor (Start | Run | regedit)
2) Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
3) Create a new DWORD value and name it EnableBalloonTips
4) Set it to:
- 0 - Disable
- 1 - Enable