By now most of you have probably already heard about 2 Factor Authentication and are probably using it for some websites, like Google. Also, chances are, if you are on Android device, you are using Google Authenticator app. The problem is: if you change your phones, wipe it, or loose it, you are left with a HUGE HEADACHE trying to recover your codes to re-generate tokens.
To preven that from happening, you have couple of choices:
- Re-create your 2FA QR codes and print them out
- Root your device and extract secrets so that you could re-create your QR code at a later time.
In this tutorial, I am going to explain how to extract secrets for all your accounts.
Before we begin, I have the following assumptions:
- You are using an Android device
- Your Android device has been ROOTED
- You have Titanium Backup installed (can be found here: Titanium Backup)
All pre-requisites are met? Awesome! Let's get started!
- Navigate to the Backup/Restore tab and sarch for Google
- In the list of search results, look for Authenticator
- Find entry titled Explore and tap it
- In the next menu, find entry [TABLE] accounts and tap it
- In the next menu, select only email, issuer, and secret columns and tap OK
- Lastly, tap on Save file locally (for maximum security) or any other application that will store the this information for you
Long press on Authenticator until a contextual menu pops up
Right now, you ended up with a csv file that contain all the necessary information that is needed to re-generate all entries in your Google Autenticator app.
If you want to generate QR codes, create urls that are in a form of:
Hope you find this useful!